Pet Food Aid Program
Dakin Humane Society’s Pet Food Aid program has been in place for several years to ensure that people have a place to turn when their dogs and cats need food, and that families stay together. In 2018, Dakin delivered over 27,000 pounds in pet food to area human service agencies, in addition to offering pet food to those in need who visited our adoption centers in Springfield and Leverett.
How To Receive Pet Food
Most of Dakin's pet food bank deliveries happen through human service agencies. If cat or dog food would help you make ends meet and make it possible for you to keep your pet in the family, one of these agencies might be able to help. Please let the staff know of your needs so that we can ensure an adequate supply of pet food.
Survival Centers and Food Pantries
Senior Centers and Meals on Wheels
Other Distribution Points
We also distribute pet food through our Springfield and Leverett adoption centers during their regular business hours. Just ask an adoption counselor for help.
How You Can Help
Much of the food distributed through Dakin's Pet Food Aid program has been graciously donated by members of our community. We welcome donations of bagged, dry food -- particularly cat food. You may deliver your contributions to either of our adoption center locations:
- Springfield – 171 Union Street, Springfield, MA
- Leverett – 163 Montague Road, Leverett, MA
Monetary donations to help us purchase food for distribution are also welcome. Please be sure to earmark your gift "Pet Food Aid Program."
Why We Need Pet Food Aid Programs
- Food stamps and other forms of assistance don’t allow for the purchase of pet food, and people will often sacrifice their own food for their pets
- Many clients need the food on a short-term basis, which helps keep the program sustainable
- Pet Food Aid programs serve as a critical resource during times of disaster or crisis
- We are able to ensure the availability of both cat and dog food for both types of pets
Our Volunteer Partners
Several organizations partner with Dakin to provide volunteers to measure and bag the pet food. We are grateful for their support. They include:
- Sunshine Village (Chicopee, MA)
- Berkshire Hills Music Academy (South Hadley, MA)
- Agawam High School (Agawam, MA)