Volunteers make it possible for Dakin to serve more than 20,000 animals and their people each year. We have over 30 different volunteer opportunities here at Dakin, including weekly, monthly and flexible on-call shifts. Volunteers can work hands-on with our pets, work with people, or choose to help in one of our administrative departments. We have opportunities seven days a week during the open shelter hours.
If you care about animals and people, we may have just the job for you!
- While we know that people of all ages love animals, all Dakin volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- Most positions have a minimum time requirement.
- All volunteers must meet the cognitive and physical requirements to safely perform their tasks, including the ability to work independently, follow verbal and written instructions, and effectively communicate with staff, other volunteers, and the public.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer at our Springfield shelter.
Volunteer at our Leverett shelter.
Become a Foster Caregiver.
Other volunteer opportunities.
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
1. Review our list of available shifts and tasks (see "Current Volunteer Opportunites" above).
2. Read the Essential Volunteer Capabilities.
3. Choose an available specific shift and task, and then fill out our application. If you do not see a position that meets your interests and availability, check back at a later date; we do not keep a waiting list. You must be at least 16 years of age to apply, and be able to meet the minimum time commitments for the position you are applying for.
4. We will contact you within 14 days. Dakin’s volunteer program is highly competitive and the submission of an application does not guarantee placement.
5. If you’re a match, we’ll get you trained and started helping animals and people!
You can reach our volunteer services department by contacting us by email.
You can also get involved in other ways to help our animals. Thank you so much for your support!
Consider becoming a Foster Home.
Host a donation drive to collect items on our Wish List.
Host a Third-Party Fundraiser.
"Like" us on Facebook and share our posts!