Volunteers make it possible for Dakin to serve more than 20,000 animals and their people each year. People from all walks of life step up to:
- hand-feed kittens in the nursery
- clean cages and kennels
- exercise and train dogs
- enter data and help with office work
- wash laundry and clean surgical instruments
- act as a Pet Taxi to move animals and supplies between facilities
- provide foster homes
- deliver pet food for Dakin's Pet Food Bank
If you care about animals, we may have just the job for you!
- While we know that people of all ages love animals, all Dakin volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- We require a time commitment from animal care volunteers. Different positions have different requirements.
- All volunteers must meet the cognitive and physical requirements to safely perform their tasks, including the ability to work independently, follow verbal and written instructions, and effectively communicate with staff, other volunteers, and the public.
New Volunteer Orientations
The first step to most volunteer positions with Dakin Humane Society is a New Volunteer Orientation. These gatherings take place in both our Springfield and Leverett adoption centers. You'll learn more about Dakin, how you can get involved, and the types of training that are available for different positions. You may attend a session in either location, regardless of where you plan to volunteer.
Find out about upcoming sessions here.
Ready to Get Started?
You can reach our volunteer services department at 413-781-4000 x 111 or contact us by email.