Spay/Neuter Services and Fees for Dogs
We are no longer able to have owners place muzzles on their dogs so we can safely sedate them; this cannot be done safely outside. Therefore, we can no longer provide surgery for dogs who are aggressive or overly fearful with strangers. See below of examples:
- If your dog has ever had a problem with, or had to be muzzled at the vet and/or groomer, for nail trimming, or if he or she has barked or growled at anyone, please request a refund now.
- If your dog is not one that strangers can walk up to and easily pet/handle/pick up, please request a refund now.
- If you arrive for surgery and we cannot safely touch your dog, we will not be able to care for your dog; we will refund your payment, minus a $50 fee.
Where to Find Us
Dakin Community Spay/Neuter Clinic
171 Union Street (entrance on Dale Street)
Springfield, MA 01105
Hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Administrative hours are Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
Scroll down to schedule and pay for your appointment online.
Guidelines for Surgery & General Info
All healthy dogs over the age of 8 weeks and weighing at least 2 pounds are eligible for surgery. We offer vaccinations and other services only at the time of surgery or at Dakin’s weekly low-cost vaccine clinics. Please contact your veterinarian for ongoing wellness care for your dogs.
We are unable to provide surgery for dogs over 99 pounds in weight or English Bulldogs. These dogs' special needs are best served by full service veterinary hospitals. We serve Pugs and Boston Terriers only if they have normal breathing.
Our administrative hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 am - 2:30 pm. Due to high volume and demand for our services, we recommend you contact us via email at email@example.com. If you need to pay cash for your appointment, contact us and we will schedule a time for you to come in person to schedule and pay for your appointment. All appointments must be paid in full at time of scheduling.
Admission is promptly at 8:30 am and all dogs are discharged at 3:00 pm on the same day of surgery. Please leave all pets in your car when checking in.
Spay or Neuter Fees for Dogs
All surgery prices include the office fee, pre-surgery veterinary examination, and pain medication at no additional charge.
Pit bull spay/neuter surgeries (male or female): Email clinic for an appointment, online scheduling unavailable.
- $50 (subject to the guidelines below)
*State medical insurance does not qualify for discounted rates
Other possible charges:
- If our veterinarian determines that your dog is obese, we will charge an additional $25
- If your dog is pregnant, we will charge an additional $50
- If your dog is in heat, an additional charge of $25-$50 may apply
Make an Appointment (pre-pay only)
Appointment required for all dog surgeries. Full payment of surgery is required at the time of scheduling.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
*Our administrative hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Due to high volume and demand for our services, our phone lines may be busy. Please leave us a message, and we will return your call as soon as possible.
We require dog surgeries to be paid in full in order to schedule an appointment
- To pay and schedule by phone, have a credit or debit card ready when we speak with you. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and debit cards with any of those symbols on the card. The phone number for the Clinic is (413) 781-4019.
- Our building is currently closed to the public. To schedule and pay for your appointment in person, contact the clinic to schedule a time to do so.
- We require more than 48 hours' notice to reschedule or cancel your appointment without penalty so that we may have time to fill your original appointment slot, otherwise there will be a $50 re-booking fee. All surgery funds will be transferred to your new appointment at no extra charge. Note: All surgery fees are non-refundable without manager approval.
Guidelines for Special Pit Bull Pricing
- To receive a $50 pit bull spay/neuter surgery, the dog must be your pet and either a pit bull or a primarily pit bull mix (mostly pit bull), and you must be receiving state or federal needs-based financial assistance, such as food stamps, disability, or unemployment. Our clinic staff will make the final determination about whether a dog qualifies for this pricing.
- The $50 surgery price is available only to dogs resident in Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties (MA).
- If you live elsewhere or don't receive needs-based state or federal assistance, we are happy to help your dog at our regular low prices.
Also Available at the time of Surgery
- $15.00 Distemper/parvo (DA2PP) vaccination
- $22.00 Microchip identification (includes registration)
- $25.00 Heartworm test
- $15.00 Nail trim
- $25.00 Hernia repair
- $15.00 Elizabethan ("lamp shade") collar
- $15.00 Rabies vaccination**
Please note that we are unable to provide written prescriptions for medications.
**A word about rabies vaccinations
Massachusetts law requires that all pets be vaccinated for rabies. Please bring a current certificate of vaccination (a tag is not proof) with you the day of surgery. If you do not have proof, we will vaccinate your pet for an additional charge of $15.00.