Our pets are cherished members of our family and those relationships have a powerful impact on us forever. Knowing when it's time to say goodbye is an extremely difficult decision and Dakin is here to support you and your companion. This resource is to assist you in understanding when it's time and how to best serve your pet's individual needs at the end of their life.
You Have Options
Your own veterinarian should be your first call. They have a relationship with you and know your pet. If they aren’t able to assist you, use the resources below for assistance.
Humane euthanasia at an emergency hospital:
- You are allowed to be with your pet during the euthanasia procedure.
- Available 24/7, when you need it. No appointment is needed.
- Euthanasia cases are prioritized, you will not need to wait too long.
The closest emergency hospitals to Dakin are:
- VESH, Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital
- 413-665-4911, 141 Greenfield Road, South Deerfield, MA
- NEVECC, New England Veterinary Center & Cancer Care
- 860-688-8400, 955 Kennedy Road, Windsor CT
The hospitals listed:
- do not charge an exam fee if you tell them you are there for euthanasia.
- as of June 2021, euthanasia fees can range from $95-150 depending on the hospital and pet.
- have cremation options available. Ask the hospital for options and fees; they vary depending on the size of the pet.
A newer option is at-home euthanasia, where a veterinarian comes to you and performs humane euthanasia in the comfort of home. Many families find this to be the best choice for them and their pets. To determine what options may be available in your area, Google search, "house call euthanasia near me". This service is typically by appointment and is not intended for emergencies.
Humane Euthanasia at DakinDakin provides humane euthanasia for pets whose people are not able to access this service through their own veterinarian or veterinary hospital. We do not euthanize healthy pets.
- Appointments are available Tuesday-Saturday from 12:30-3:30 pm. To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-781-4000.
- Please note, you cannot be present with your pet during the procedure at Dakin. If you want to be present with your pet, a veterinary hospital can provide this service for you.
If you choose to take your pet home for burial or select communal cremation (you prefer not to have your pet’s ashes returned), we request $100 for the euthanasia service.
We understand not everyone is able to afford the full fee; if that’s the case for you, we ask that you leave whatever amount you can reasonably afford. We will still help, no matter what that amount is.
Please click here to view pricing for private cremation (your pet's ashes will be returned to you).
Please Note: We cannot euthanize a pet if it has bitten or scratched someone within the last 10 days. If your pet has bitten or scratched a person, breaking the skin within the last 10 days, by law you must notify your local animal control services. We can provide euthanasia after 10 days have passed. If you are returning a pet that has been adopted through Dakin, we can accept the animal during that time. If your pet has bitten within 10 days but is too dangerous to keep at home any longer, please email us at email@example.com to discuss options.
How to contact usTo schedule an appointment for humane euthanasia, please email Springfield@dakinhumane.org for the fastest response. If you are unable to email us, please call 413-781-4000.
We understand how difficult it is to say goodbye to a beloved animal companion. Please click here to visit our online resource for grief support during this difficult time.