Preventing Pet Poisoning
by Lee Chambers
March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month, and the best way to keep your pet safe is to pet proof your home for hazards. While we all do our best, sometimes accidents may happen, and they can get into things they shouldn’t. If you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous (like an item listed below), notify your veterinarian or 24-hour emergency animal hospital right away. You can also reach out to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
- Xylitol (A sweetener found in many sugarless foods)
- Insecticides including sprays meant for people
- Bait stations
- Organophosphates (A substance found in rose-care products)
- Mouse and rat poisons
- NSAIDS (Drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Essential oils
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry pods
- Cleaning products containing alcohol, ammonia, bleach, benzalkonium chloride, hydrogen peroxide, or chemical compounds that contain the word “phenol,”
- Grout sealers
- Toilet water (If treated with cleaning tablets or an attached cleaning agent, keep dogs and cats from drinking out of the commode!)
With Easter coming, remember that lilies are a serious danger to cats, and certain varieties are toxic to dogs too. Peace and calla lilies, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are considered dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA.
When you’re pet-proofing your home, act as if you’re baby-proofing it. Medications should go in high places where pets can’t reach. Garbage barrels need a tight lid on them to prevent foraging, and keep harmful cigarette butts away from animals. Let’s keep our pets by our side, healthy and happy.