Easter Lilies Pose Toxic Threat to Pets

Pets and houseplants may seem like a harmless combination, but giving your animal companions access to certain plants can quickly become life-threatening.

As we warmly welcome the spring season, be aware of the types of plants you might bring into (or around) your home.

Easter lilies (Lilium longiflorum) are popular as gifts and decorative spring flowers. While beautiful, these flowers are lethally toxic to cats. So much so that even biting leaves or licking pollen can cause kidney failure in cats.

Seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect your cat has come in contact with (or ingested) any part of an Easter lily plant. Early medical intervention can save lives.

If left untreated, kidney failure can happen in a matter of days and bring on more severe reactions including seizures.

Symptoms of toxicity in cats due to Easter lilies can include vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, and dehydration.

The ASPCA’s Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants List and hotline is a helpful resource available to pet parents.

Go back